Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Excessive Force - The Body Keeps The Score


The photograph below 
is indicative to a specific serinity 
I wanted to be engulfed by

After being on the receiving end
of unwarranted 
excessive force 
Monday - January 6, 2020 - 3:50pm
Bookshop
New York, New York

Despite
how open, peaceful and loving you attempt to be people can only meet you, as deeply as they've met themselves.
Tuesday - January 7, 2020 - 1:46am
MTA NYCT - 86th Street
Brooklyn, New York 


At this moment, as I write these words
 I still cannot gauge if I was being unrealistic towards myself
in regards to what transpired

Or walking around benumbed 
in a state of shock
Making myself believe it was okay to go to work 

Accustomed to pretending 
all was 
well


Albeit my attempt to hide pain
the sight of my appearance 
and the inability to move about normally
couldn't be concealed 

When asked:
Are you 
okay?

I didn't have the strength 
to fight the conditioning of
making up a fable - offering an excuse


Truth
was embraced 
instead of a lie 

To protect another's misdeeds


The look on the faces of my coworkers 
As I rehashed being body slammed to the ground
in the presence of bystanders 

Who used 
their cellphones 
to record manhandling 
was followed by glances of concern

When asked/told:
why didn't you go to the hospital?
You shouldn't be here right now!


I tried to assure 
what I deem to be 
prying eyes 

Making me feel uncomfortable 
under their gaze,
that I was fine


 My sentiments 
weren't reciprocated
and I was told to sit down and relax...


It's unfortunate 
when one endures a lifetime of abuse
being ignored is preferred as opposed to attention

 Not used to individuals taking notice
I sat thinking 
of a premeditated explanation 

Just in case tomorrow 
if asked AGAIN
I would have a better prepared response

I kept my 
"I'm Okay" -"I'm Fine"
charade going for about 
2 weeks 

Until my body took over and said:

 NO
YOU ARE NOT 
OKAY or FINE! 

My body shut down on me 
and I had to take the same amount of time to recuperate
as I did presenting all to be well. 

2 weeks


January 27, 2020
I reenacted the scene of excessive force
to heal myself/rewire my body. 

In order to overcome
trauma/pain 
One must return 

To the place that caused it.



First, I walked over to the wall I was sitting up against 
to charge my cellphone
as I sat on the ground. 

I was told to get up & move elsewhere.   



Next, I waked over to the the area of the ground 
in which excessive force was used 
unnecessarily.  

I placed my hand on the ground I was slammed down against 
& heard myself being yelled at in my mind: get up!

How is it possible to get up off the ground 
with your hands behind your back
as you're literally behind shoved into it?

As the scene escalated
I envisioned the circle that was formed around my body 
as I lay faced down on the ground 
to prevent bystanders from recording 
what occurred  in their presence. 


Last, but certainly not least  (this tactic was used
 to embed humiliation/shame inside of me, 
as if I were a disobedient child placed on time out). 

I faced the triangular corner in the elevator
I was made to stand in with my hands behind my back
in overly tightened handcuffs 
slicing into my skin.


The aforementioned 
was action taken
in real space and time

An intangible visualization 
via photography
to show me my experiences are real

And let no one 
rewrite or diminish 
what transpired


In a passage above I wrote
I was conditioned through years off abuse
to conceal my own pain

To heal effectively 
one has to put in 
various forms of 


Effort 

Towards 
The
reclaiming of:

Mind/Body/Spirit

From thieves 
of life 
and joy

Granting
internal
liberation

© LaToya S. C.


American 

You Need 

Miracle

Beyond Spiritual

I Need A 
Realer
View

I Hold A
Mirror To
It

These Ain't New 
Problems
They Just Old Ways...



Never Be 
A Victim Of Life;
Be It's Conqueror. 


No comments:

Post a Comment